No Homers - Lossless Audio and Coffee Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garland Jeffreys - Garland Jeffreys 1973

3 posters

Go down

Garland Jeffreys - Garland Jeffreys 1973 Empty Garland Jeffreys - Garland Jeffreys 1973

Post  Kitlope Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:44 pm

Anybody else have some Jeffreys? Just listening to his 1973 self titled second album and I must say...its groovy! I had one single of his almost 20 years ago from the 1992 "Don't Call Me Buckwheat" album called Hail Hail Rock & Roll, always digged that track but other than that never heard boo about Garland Jeffreys. As far as I'm concerned there was a lot of crap music in the 70s of this genre but this is actually very listenable.

Check it out as its available!

From Wiki:

Garland Jeffreys (born 1943 in Brooklyn, New York) is an African-American and Puerto Rican singer-songwriter. His music is a unique blend of rock and roll, reggae, blues and soul.

Jeffreys is from Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn. Jeffreys majored in arts at Syracuse University where he met Lou Reed before The Velvet Underground became active. In 1966, Jeffreys played in Manhattan nightclubs. Grinder's Switch, a group founded by him in 1969, released one album before breaking up in 1970. In 1973, he released his first solo album, Garland Jeffreys, on Atlantic Records.

Jeffreys played guitar on John Cale's 1969 debut solo album Vintage Violence and contributed the song "Fairweather Friend".

Around the same time Atlantic also released a 45 RPM single of a song called "Wild in the Streets" that was not included on the LP. The track received airplay on progressive FM album-oriented rock stations and has become one of his best-known songs. Later, in 1977 when Garland recorded his Ghost Writer album for A&M Records, the Atlantic Records version of "Wild In The Streets" was included on side two.

"Wild In The Streets" has been covered by several artists, including:

• The Circle Jerks, from the album Wild In The Streets
• Chris Spedding, from the album Hurt
• British Lions, from the album British Lions
• Hot Water Music, from the album Til the Wheels Fall Off

Jeffreys is featured in the 2003 documentary Soul of a Man, directed by Wim Wenders as the fourth installment of the documentary film series "The Blues" produced by Martin Scorsese. The film explores the musical careers of blues musicians Skip James, Blind Willie Johnson and J. B. Lenoir.

He was featured on the cover of Beyond Race magazine in February 2007. Jeffreys is currently touring again and has been very active on MySpace.

He has a 13-year-old daughter named Savannah Jeffreys who is an aspiring singer-songwriter as well, who has many YouTube videos of her own songs .

Garland Jeffreys 1973

Garland Jeffreys - Garland Jeffreys 1973 Garlandjeffreys

Tracks:

Ballad of Me
Harlem Bound
Calcutta Monsoon
Bound to Get Ahead Someday
Lovelight
She Didn’t Lie
True to Me
Lon Chaney
Eggs
Zoo

Bonus Track:

Midnite Cane
Kitlope
Kitlope

Back to top Go down

Garland Jeffreys - Garland Jeffreys 1973 Empty Re: Garland Jeffreys - Garland Jeffreys 1973

Post  rogercc Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:48 pm

Garland Jeffreys - Garland Jeffreys 1973 E497663jij9

Hi: Just had to find some of this guys songs , Another new one to me.
Interesting sound for the era, reflects some rock/blues and soul influences..
Well worth further listening IMO

The following can be played via his website:-
www.garlandjeffreys.com

Cool down boy(live) [from Rock n Roll Adult]
Hail Hail Rock n Roll [from Don’t Call Me Buckwheat]
New York Skyline (Studio){from Ghostwriter]
New York Skyline (Acoustic)[Live in Germany 1992]
Boys and Girls [from Wildlife Dictionary]

This track available on Isohunt!

96 Tears

You can also find some on MySpace?

Garland Jeffreys Discography
1969: Grinder's Switch Featuring Garland Jeffreys
1973: Garland Jeffreys
1977: Ghost Writer
1978: One Eyed Jack
1979: American Boy & Girl
1980: Escape Artist
1982: Rock 'n' Roll Adult
1983: Guts for Love
1992: Don't Call Me Buckwheat
1992: Matador & More...
1997: Wildlife Dictionary (only released in Europe)
2007: I'm Alive (only released in Europe)
rogercc
rogercc

Back to top Go down

Garland Jeffreys - Garland Jeffreys 1973 Empty Re: Garland Jeffreys - Garland Jeffreys 1973

Post  Kitlope Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm really hoping that someone out there will be able to make some more of his music available in lossless. I was actually quite surprised that none could be found, just a couple albums in mp3 format
Kitlope
Kitlope

Back to top Go down

Post  FlacMonkey Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:06 pm

Well I'm intrigued! I'll definitely look into it. I've never heard of him. Also totally new to me.

Thanks for the introduction to Garland Jeffreys! I'll check it out and report on my impressions Wink

Cheers!!

FM
FlacMonkey
FlacMonkey
Entirely Made Of Flacs

Humour : Yes

https://nohomers.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kitlope Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Looking forward to your thoughts on the album, I'm a little particular to the track "She Didn't Lie" but the entire release is a great listen.
Kitlope
Kitlope

Back to top Go down

Post  FlacMonkey Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:57 am

I've played it a few times and I really enjoy it. It's bluesy, rock, even reggae sometimes, in a very good way. An unusual and well delivered mix of genres. It's really worth checking out. One nice find Smile Thanks for digging this one out of your vaults Smile

Like roger says, it's well worth further listening! I'd be curious to listen to the rest of his work.
FlacMonkey
FlacMonkey
Entirely Made Of Flacs

Humour : Yes

https://nohomers.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum